Preparation time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: 10 minutes, Yield: 10-12 fritters
- 1 (10-ounce) box tempura batter mix
- 1 pound rock shrimp, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup whole corn kernels
- 1/4 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 dash onion powder
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
Mix tempura batter according to the box directions. In a small sauté pan, add corn and toast lightly. Add shrimp and cook until opaque, about 2-3 minutes. Add ancho chili powder and ground red pepper. Reduce heat to low. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Add onion powder, cilantro and salt. Add about 1 cup of tempura batter and mix to coat. The consistency should be chunkier than liquid.
Heat olive oil on a griddle, large wok or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add about 1/4 of the batter into the oil and fry until golden on both sides.
In a small mixing bowl, combine all ingredients. The sauce can be placed in a squirt bottle or served on the side.