Preparation time: 20 minutes, Rise time: 1 hour, Cooking time: 15-25 minutes, Yield: 12 rolls
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115°F)
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3-4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves roasted garlic (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 3/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, as needed
Preheat oven according to attached chart. Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir well. Let stand 5 minutes or until bubbly. Combine milk, butter, sugar, and salt in a small saucepan. Heat to lukewarm (105 to 115°F). Add milk mixture to yeast mixture. Place the mixer on low and mix adding flour slowly until a ball forms. It should be soft and slightly sticky. Turn out onto board. Knead for 15 minutes or until elastic and smooth. Place in oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let dough rise until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
Meanwhile, make cheese spread. Add butter into a large electric mixer with paddle attachment. Beat until soft. Add cheddar cheese, Parmesan cheese, garlic, onion powder, black pepper, parsley, chives, and seasoned salt. Mix until smooth.
Turn dough out onto floured board. Roll into a square, 1-inch thick and about 12 x 12 inches in size. Spread cheese mixture all over top, leaving a 1/4-inch edge around. Roll up like a jellyroll, sealing up air pockets. Pinch to seal edges. Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the freezer for one hour. Using a serrated knife, cut 1/2-inch rounds from log. Be careful not to squeeze out ingredients. Place on greased baking sheet, about 1 inch apart from each other. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 15 minutes or until almost doubled in size. Top with extra cheese and bake until golden.