Preparation time: 20 minutes, Cooking time: 30-40 minutes, Yield: 24 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces German sweet baking chocolate
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk
Coconut-Pecan Chocolate Frosting
- 1 egg
- 1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/3 cups flaked sweetened coconut, toasted*
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans*
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
Preheat oven according to the chart. Line 2 (12 muffin cups each) muffin tins with paper liners. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
Melt chocolate in a small saucepan or in the microwave. Stir until melted. Beat shortening with an electric mixer on high for 30 seconds. Add sugar. Beat until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat on low speed until combined. Beat at medium speed for 1 minute. Stir in chocolate mixture. Add dry mixture and milk alternately to beaten mixture. Beat on low speed after each addition until combined. Pour batter halfway up into cups. Bake until toothpick comes out clean.
In medium saucepan, combine egg and evaporated milk. Add sugar and butter. Cook and stir over medium heat about 12 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. In a separate saucepan, melt bittersweet chocolate. Stir in flaked coconut, chopped pecans, and bittersweet chocolate. Cover and cool completely. Spread the cooled frosting on top of each cupcake.
* For toasted coconut, spread a thin layer of coconut on sheet pan with a rim. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes. Coconut flakes are high in fat so beware of any steam as you open the oven door. Stir the coconut and continue to cook until desired brown color. The pecans can also be toasted this way.