Preparation time: 10 minutes, Cooking time: 20 minutes, Yield: 1 quart
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1-inch knob of ginger, peeled, washed and sliced thin against the grain
- 1 1/2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- About 3 cups chicken stock, or enough to cover 1 inch over carrots
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 ounces heavy cream
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- 3-4 slices bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
Over low heat, melt butter in 6-quart saucepan. Add onions and ginger, stir then cover. Cook slowly until onions are translucent. Add carrots, chicken stock, rosemary and sugar. Simmer until carrots are very tender.
Remove stem of rosemary, place soup in blender and purée until very smooth. Return soup to saucepan and whisk in cream. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Cut a few slices of bread into half-inch pieces. Sauté in butter and chopped rosemary until golden. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish soup with croutons before service.