Preparation time: 15 minutes, Cooking time: 40 minutes, Yield: 2 quarts
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/2-inch rounds
- 1 celery stalk, small diced
- 2 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then 1/2-inch diced
- 1 cup green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 6 cups kale, leaves chopped
- 1 1/2 cups canned northern white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 russet potato, medium diced
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, drained
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups macaroni
- 1 cup prepared pesto
- * Pesto can be found at your local supermarket. It is a purée of basil, parsley, garlic, olive oil, pine nuts and Parmesan cheese.
Cook bacon in a heavy stockpot. When bacon is browned, drain on paper towels and set aside. Add onion, carrot, and celery to pot. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add zucchini, green beans, and kale. Cook until kale is wilted. Add beans, potato, crushed tomatoes, and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes covered. Add macaroni pasta and cook for another 20 minutes or until pasta is tender. Stir in bacon and pesto. Add pepper to taste. The soup can be held on simmer for up to 2 hours.